Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Give Thanks for Restful Sleep

I am thankful for.... restful sleep

Waking up refreshed and alert after a sound night of sleep is a great way to start a new day. We feel energized and ready to face new opportunities and challenges. It feels good to know we can be our best because we are more focused, calm and productive. I truly appreciate the gift of rejuvenating sleep. There was a time when I struggled with sleep problems. I wasn't getting enough of the quality sleep that affects every area of our lives (health, productivity, relationships, safety, and work). As a result, I could not be as productive as I wanted to be, and I was tired throughout the day.

For years I tried everything I could think of to get better sleep. I tried many psychological techniques as well as any other tips that sounded like they might help. They did help to a point, but there was still an underlying problem. It wasn’t until I learned that I had a magnesium and vitamin D deficiency, that the sleep problem was resolved. Supplementation was what I needed and it has worked for me ever since. I am grateful for this insight. I am also grateful for the many tips I have learned on my quest to getting better sleep. The one I find to be most helpful is to relax the body and mind by slowing down physically and mentally. Deep breathing works well for the body.  For the mind, I have to stop working mentally. If necessary, I write down what I want to remember for later and let go for the time being. The goal is to have a peaceful state of mind, free of worries, cares or unresolved anger. Another tip that I find extremely helpful is to think about at least 3 reasons to be thankful for this day. It focuses my mind on what is good and it reminds me that I am blessed in many ways that are so easy to overlook or simply take for granted. I value good physical and mental health. And I appreciate the amazing ways the body and mind work together. Restful sleep isn't just a necessity. It is good for our overall health and well-being. I am so thankful for the refreshing that comes from a great night of sleep that prepares me to enjoy and appreciate a new day!


Copyright 2010 All Rights Reserved. Written by Krystal Kuehn. NewDayCounseling.org and BeHappy4Life.com

Krystal Kuehn, MA, LPC, LLP, NCC is a psychotherapist, author, teacher & musician. She is the cofounder of New Day Counseling, a family marriage counseling & child counseling center and BeHappy4Life.com, an award-winning, self-help and inspirational site where you can find hundreds of free resources, insights inspiration.


<< Go Back to Krystal's Give Thanks Journal Home

No comments:

Post a Comment